St Martin’s is Bilborough’s only surviving medieval building. It was built on a piece of high ground between around 1350 and 1400. In those days Bilborough was just a small rural village, and this church was big enough to accommodate everyone who lived nearby.
In the 20th century Bilborough grew rapidly. After World War II the medieval church became too small to accommodate everyone who wanted to worship here. To solve the problem, a modern extension was built in 1972. The church was lovingly restored between 2010 and 2014. St Martin’s is a Grade 2* listed building, because it is important to the nation.